Who doesn't love a delicious lemon drizzle cake, evoking childhood memories this cake is moist, zingy and zesty! Our lemon cake is effortlessly simple and super quick to whip up - the sweet lemony glaze is the perfect finishing touch, trust us when we say it will vanish so quickly you will wish you baked two.
3 large eggs
180g self raising flour
180g caster sugar 6oz
180g unsalted butter (room temp)
Zest of 1 Large Lemon
Juice of 1 Large Lemon (the one you zested)
110g Icing Sugar
1. Line a loaf tin with some baking parchment & pre-heat your oven to 180C/350F
Note: I always use a hand whisk when baking, but you can use a electric mixer.
2. Cream together your butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add your eggs and beat together whilst slowly adding your flour.
3. Beat together and when the mixture has come together, ensure you get plenty of air into your mixture by folding it, until it’s a nice smooth batter.
4. Pour the batter into your loaf tin & bake for around 30-35mins.
Whilst your loaf is baking you can make your lemon glaze.
5. Mix together your icing sugar & lemon juice until its smooth.
6. When your loaf has been in the oven for 30mins check the loaf by inserting a skewer into the middle, if it comes out clean it’s done. If not, give it a few mins more.
7. When the loaf has baked, use your skewer to poke holes all over the cake, all the way down to the bottom and pour over your lemon glaze.
8. Wait for the glaze to set for around 5 minutes and then remove the loaf from the tin.
9. Enjoy warm with a cuppa & let your mind drift off into lemony heaven...& try not to demolish the whole cake in one sitting.